Unfortunately this very sad news has just been published.....let's all say a little prayer ........

"London’s Central Hall in Westminster saw the world premiere of a new symphonic work, ‘The Titanic Requiem’ tonight (April 10). The piece, which features the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, was written to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the famous ship on April 15, 1912. However, one of the composers of the piece, Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, was unable to attend due to his deteriorating health.

The 62-year old singer, who wrote the piece with his son Robin-John, was hospitalized on March 25 due to an twisted bowel and has remained in the private clinic since. Gibb and his twin brother Maurice, were born with the intestinal issue known as volvulus. Maurice passed away in 2003 from complications resulting from the condition.

On Sunday (April 8), it was reported that Barry Gibb flew from his home in Tennessee to London to be at his brother’s side. Barry’s son Stephen also flew from Miami. British tabloids are quoting an unnamed family friend, who says that Robin has possibly contracted pneumonia and that his condition is getting worse.

This sad news comes a little more than a month after Gibb announced that he was in remission from liver cancer. Gibb was diagnosed with the disease in the fall of 2011."

Views: 1739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You girls are so right. I know he's no longer in pain & I pray Barry finds someone he can consol in. I'm sitting here crying my eyes out. You all are all oh! so! kind! If I'm repeating, forgive me. The first time I've met the Bee Gees was May 20, 1985 so, there's the bitter sweet. Thanks to Michael, he brought us all together as friend & I thank him for that & here I thought I cried my last tears lastnight. Boltonnut from L. A. CA who loves life.barry

Hi Robin,

I felt so sad reading the news this morning. Another musical genius joined the other world and I'm sure Robin has been welcomed warmly. Yet, he will be missed here. I remember growing up with the Bee Gees (starting with "Lamplight") and watching them reinvent themselves again and again. A German internet tribute quoted: "We always said that we were one soul in three bodies, there was such a feeling between us, we could read our minds when we wrote together," Robin told once". I so hope that Barry will find consolation and - one day - his balance back.

Also I hope, your sadness will be tempered by gratitude. Take care, big hug

Astrid

Thanks Astrid & I love Lamp Light. Boltonnut from L. A. CA who loves life. You're talking about a Bee Gees fan from way back in 1967 & those overseas have heard of them before hand. :DT

I started a joke is on & the tears. :( Boltonnut from L. A. CA who loves life. Robin sings this song.

Hey Robin, I really love “I started a joke” myself. That reminds me of the poll I’ve sent you the link to where they talked about Robin’s top 5 performances. Let me paste it here:

“Any list of the top Robin Gibb performances has to start with  “I Started a Joke,” which was also mainly written by Robin. The song climbed to No. 6 in America in 1968 and features Robin’s vibrato-laden voice at its most effective, driving home the song’s angsty lyrics, which some thought had quasi-religious overtones. Despite the Barry-centric focus of the group, it was a Robin song that gave the band its biggest American hit in the 1960s.  Robin also took most of the lead vocal on another 1968 Top 10 hit with an unconventional lyric, “I Gotta Get a Message to You,” a song sung from the point of view of someone facing imminent execution. Sure, it might seem a bit overly dramatic now, but remember how compelling it was the first time you heard it? As the Bee Gees entered the 1970s, their music moved in a more adult contemporary direction. Robin left the group for a while, but returned to take lead on several key album tracks, such as “Sincere Relation” and “Remembering.” But his shining moment in this era was the opening verse of “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?” It’s not a stretch to say that the way he intoned the song’s wistful opening couplet was a large part of what made the tune the band’s first No. 1 U.S. hit. During the Bee Gees’ disco period – from 1975 to 1979 – Barry’s falsetto almost totally dominated the group’s records. But go to their “Children of the World” album and you’ll find a Robin-tastic surprise: he takes the lead vocal on the R&B ballad “Love Me,” which became better known when it scored Yvonne Elliman her first major U.S. hit. (Elliman later hit much bigger with another Bee Gees-penned song, “If I Can't Have You.”) The final essential Robin Gibb vocal isn’t even a Bee Gees song. It’s his 1984 Top 40 solo hit “Boys Do Fall in Love.” The danceable, new wavish number showed that his voice, perhaps more than any of his brothers, had a modern edge that suited itself perfectly to the MTV era.”

I’m just glad they included a non-Bee Gees song in there, I quite enjoyed that. Take care Robin. Big hugs, sincerely, your friend Sylvie from Canada :D

Thanks for that article Sylvie and at least we know for sure Robin will never be forgotten and we had Tim Rice talking about him and the Bee Gees on our programmes last night and as he said they are up there as songwriters with the likes of McCartney/Lennon and their songs will be sung for evermore for they are known throughout the world and will be remembered throughout, always !! :)

Hope you are feeling a little better Robin and initial shock has worn off somewhat but hey, you remember, when those tears want to fall let them even when they come at that least expected moment; don't deny them or the feeling that goes along with for it is only a necessary part and parcel of our acceptance !!

Take care and remember the "smiles" in between and try and let Michael take some of the load and lend his hand with his beautiful voice !!! :)

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

Hey Sylvia, in the words of Smokey Robinson: I'll second that emotion! :D Take care sweetie. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

I do feel better but yeah, girls, that's a part of grieving. Those unexpected tears & I second that emotion too. :D Boltonnut from L. A. Ca who loves life.

I hope this works girls & I promise I won't do this too much but many folks are unable to distinguish each of their voices but here is Robin singing "& the sun Will shine." Bee Gees - And the Sun Will Shine - Melbourne Australia - 1974 (Part 4 of
16)

http://fb.me/1RJis6lgz I

I cried so much. It's gonna be a while before I can hear their earlier music. I just love them to death--they're right up there with Michael. Boltonnut from L. A. Ca crying like a baby right now. :(

Thanks for that link Robin.....it was beautiful and it led me back to my all time favourite and a million other peoples too ...."Massachusetts"....and this one is from Melbourne in 1989........http://youtu.be/QPTv7zhkdTA

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

OMG Robin, how did you do that girl? Very cool! Oh Robin, how can anyone not know or recognize that voice? I loooove that song, thank you for sharing it sweetie! Did you know that video was uploaded on your birthday? And do you know if this concert is on DVD or CD or something? They list the setlist in the description and wow! It just sounds wonderful! I'll probably check the list and get them in order. It would really be fantastic to have that on CD... Thanks again Robin for sharing it, take care girl. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service