I've just managed to get hold of a copy of Michaels first 45 rpm single 'Bah, Bah Bah' that he recorded with his first band  Garage band 'Joy'.

I've been looking out for a copy for years now and finally managed to track a copy down.

The label on the single has a printed mis-spelling and lists the writing credits as 'Michael Bolotkin'.

Does anyone have any information on this single that they would be willing to share with me because I'd quite like to mount the single in a frame along with some information about it.

I know that 'Bah, Bah, Bah,' was the B' side with 'Joy' singing  the unknown Beatles composition  'It's for you' on the 'A' side, but thats all I know really.

I cant wait for it to arrive and when it does, I'll see if I can somehow, record it and post a clip of it on here.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Love Jennifer XXXXXXX

Still Michaels future wife though!!

Views: 2130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations, that's a must have!!!
Thanks for the background info Jeremy, I've had a copy here for years. There are some floating around yet these days. Michael has signed them for some of my friends and mine was signed when I purchased it.. Thanks again for the background info on this must-have piece of MB's music history!!
Robin :)
I cant believe it!! I've just managed to get hold of another copy of 'Bah bAh Bah'!! All I need now is to get Michael to sign them!!

Hmm, dare I post them to the MB office in the hope??? .......or will he keep them both for his collection?? Ha Ha!!

As long as he sends me back something lovely in exchange.....like one of his shirts with him inside it!! Oooh lovely!!

Ssssh, leave me alone...I'm having a lovely dream!!!

Love Jennifer XXXX
http://abmp3.com/download/4731575-bah-bah-bah.html

Here you can download 'Bah Bah Bah' to your phone or PC and use it as a ringtone. There is also a 'embed code' to add it to your blog or web site.

Love Jennifer XX
Hello Jeremy, for the very first time, I have one up on you my dear! This might be the first and only time so I'll bask in this feeling for a while... :) On the "Bah bah bah" single, Orrin was not featured on it. He told me himself that he was in Europe when it was recorded but he was asked to sing on "Going back to New Haven" upon his return. He told me this years ago and that was the first time I'd heard about "Going back to New Haven". And if you listen to the song, you can pick his voice out right away. So there you go! Take care Jeremy and hope you post again soon! Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada
Hi Sylvie,
Well...you win!! I didn't know that, but I'm glad I do now (can I ever-so-slightly redeem my mistake by pointing out that I did admit the lineup of the band at that point was "sketchy at best"? No? Haha...forget it. You knew more than I did about it!). This does point toward something interesting, though: it means that "Going Back to New Haven" was recorded after "Bah Bah Bah." Did Orrin mention how long he was in Europe for? Is he singing the lead vocals on GBTNH? I always assumed it was MB, but I just listened to it after I read your post, and I'm definitely questioning that assumption now. Very interesting!! Thanks for setting me straight.
Jeremy, I think you are definitely onto something here. Listening to GBTNH has me wondering too if Orrin is singing lead vocals. I also took another listen to "Our Town" from the "November Children" soundtrack LP. Orrin is singing lead vocals for sure on that track, whereas it's obviously Michael on the other two Joy vocal tracks. In fact, the last time I was in CT for the MB Charity event (seems like eons ago), I spoke to Orrin about this, and he sang a line or so from the song, though he did admit he'd rather forget about it's existence. Ah, the facts he could share....if only!
Sally, do you have the capability to digitize LP audio? I've never heard "Our Town" or "Cowboys Theme." I'd love to confirm if Orrin is indeed singing lead on GBTNH--I'm listening to it (once again) right now, and I'm leaning toward a resounding "yes," although the audio is very muffled in my version, so it's a bit of a guess.

Now I'm listening to "Running Away from the Nighttime," which I had never really listened to critically before (only in a "wow...this is a real piece of history" way). My current thoughts: it's actually quite good stylistically--a stronger composition than "Bah Bah Bah" and with more of a "hook." It would have competed admirably with the underground garage-rock thing that was really happening on the East Coast from around 1967-1970. The bass line, in particular, is quite good: it only occasionally rests on the root notes, preferring to scale the dominant tones. The little piano riff could have been extended/varied a bit in the later part of the song, but it provides a nice blues bedrock with its minor-third trilling. The background vocals are much more complementary to the melody here (whereas in "Bah Bah Bah" they're a bit of a hindrance). I particularly like the variation at 2:37-2:42--it's almost unexpected, but it morphs back into the main theme in a very fluid cadence. The nice harmonic descent from the minor third to the root between 0:45 and 0:48 in the background vocals (which repeats a few more times elsewhere in the song) is echoed nicely by the lead vocals between 0:47 and 0:48 (on a different vowel sound). The bridge at 1:22 is a nice reprieve from the main riff, and the descending backing harmony in thirds and fifths at 1:37 creates a great sense of anticipation for the return to the main riff at 1:41 (complete with the 4-beat kick drum to accentuate it). That part actually reminds me of the same type of harmonic descending pattern, which accomplished the same transition from bridge to main theme, in a song by Kiss called "Sure Know Something" (1979).

Ok, must stop listening to this on repeat--I have to get on to other things! I hope that wasn't too much of a tangent.
Wow, what an analysis! Great to see your posts, Jeremy! I'd love to hear the song you're talking about. I've never heard about
"Runnin' Away From the Nighttime", "Where Do We Go From Here," and "Cookie Man", that have been mentioned in this thread. Anyone have digital versions to share so that we can all hear them? It's so interesting to hear the metamorphosis of The Man's voice and music over the years!
My dear Jeremy,I only mentionned it because I thought this would be my only claim to fame against your brain! Lol I will give you credit for saying the line-up was sketchy at best. My comment was more to complete your info, not really to correct it. And frankly, it was a fluke that I knew it. I personally think it’s easy to pick out which one is Michael and which is Orrin because Michael is a tenor and Orrin is a baritone…  Do you have Orrin’s CD to compare the voices? If not, Anna Mason has some samples on Orrin’s fan site. Jeremy, I know you don’t have much time to chek your page, but if you accept me as a friend, I’d like to send you a couple of PM’s for fragments that might help with your puzzle. I know every little bit helps so that’s what I’d like to do. Let me know. Take care Jeremy, good to hear from you! Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Qc Canada
Hi again Jeremy, is it possible for you to upload that “Running away from the nighttime” so we can all enjoy the whole of your musical dissection?  Or maybe we can move this over to your “early years” thread, since we’re getting away from the original subject a bit… I think you were right when you said that such, wonderful as they are, microscopic details don’t cater to the masses. But it’s very interesting to see how much you enjoy studying music, pretty much as I enjoy studying the voice, although not professionally… Of course, I’m not a musician and I’m lightyears away from your expertise but I do enjoy reading it! Incidentally, do you know who wrote the “Sure know something” song? Just curious, I could look it up. Well again, thanks so much for posting your views Jeremy, always enjoyable! Take care and don’t be a stranger! Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada
Hiya Jan, check your personal E-mails once in a while darlin'! Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service