New Year Resolutions for 2014......with a completely NEW slant !!!

As Michael has supplied us with his Resolution for 2014 thought would get this thread underway and Michael's Resolution is.............. 

"My 2014 resolution is to spend more time in a state of gratitude for every moment I have and to especially show it for my family, friends & fans. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! LET'S MAKE IT GREAT!!"

........along with, I believe, a selfie which think has been taken whilst Michael has been out sightseeing in Galati, Romania.

Please feel free to pop in whenever you like to share with us your New Year Resolutions or, as Sylvie and I like to do, which is to set ourselves goals per month to try and achieve rather than the one for the whole year......a little bit of a variation on the theme and we have had fun doing it for over the past couple of years and hope 2014 proves to be as much fun and as they always say, the more the merrier, so please consider coming in and joining us.......everyone is more than welcome !!!! :)    BTW Sylvie and I also try to make it every Monday when we come in and compare notes but absolutely no restriction on when anyone prefers to come in....none whatsoever !!! :)

Believe the following, which Sylvie was sent, is more than appropriate to be placed on here and hope you all enjoy it !! :) 

The New Year       will suddenly appear on the horizon

The       Boarding on Flight 2014  Has been       announced.....
Your luggage       should only contain the best souvenirs from 2013
The bad and       sad moments should be left in the garbage....
The duration of       the flight will be 12 months.
The next       stop-overs will be :
Health,       Love, Joy, Harmony, Well-being and Peace
The Captain       offers you the following menu  Which will be served during       the flight :
A Cocktail of Friendship
A       Supreme of Health
A gratin of       prosperity
A Bowl of Excellent News
A Salad of Success
A Cake of       Happiness
All accompanied  By       burst of laughter
Wishing You and Yours  An enjoyable trip  On boardFlight       2014
May This Be Your Best Year Ever!!

Sylvie from Canada and Sylvia from Scotland.

Views: 6575

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Kathy, glad to hear you’re feeling better! Oh yes, I know what you mean about the house stopping to function when mom’s out of commission... :D Sorry, no news from my granddaughter, but plans are made for Saturday and the uncles are under close tabs. :D Aww, glad you liked that picture: my son-in-law said it was nice the second he took it. :D  Well lucky you that you haven’t missed that much Kathy: mostly the fabulous time Karen Day had at her Ga concert and a few pics in the “Misc” thread. Have fun sweetie, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada :D

I'm just back from the gym and having a bite of lunch and thinking about what to do for sun has come through here so wondering about those railings.....yeah, wondering about them !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL   It is that I had hoped it would continue raining today and I could have got stuck into ancestry site for Sheila gave me some more information from actual marriage certificates she has got and I did a search last night and I cannot believe it for a set of my Great, Great Grandparents I had already found, way back, but had dismissed them when discovered they were born in Ireland because I didn't think we had any connection with Ireland but believe now I am more Irish than Scots because other set of maternal Great, Great Grandparents came from Ireland too.....I cannot believe it !! :)   In finding them I have looked at the censuses and the streets where they lived and I know them all well so at least going to have plenty of places to show Sheila and her husband.  Believe once I start coming back up through their children I stand a good chance of finding other relatives that are still alive and think I'm going to be busy during the winter...LOL

Great Kathy that you are thinking about getting back to the walking but obviously a pity about your path....wow, they don't sound very considerate and guess you can only hope that maybe a few of your other neighbours will get fed up with it too for sure can't imagine the smell is all that cute with your heat for know when the farmers round here "dress" the fields .... clothes peg time on the nose !!!! lol   Hope too that you are feeling better soon  and BTW do you remember the lilac tree in the corner along from shed well that was what I have been working on and it is halved and quartered and it looks like a lovely wee shrub now .....took some work, a few days, and garden refuse bin filled a few times, but glad I've got it done. 

Noted Sylvie that you said about getting discounts when talking about bus pass and obviously don't know how your passes work in Canada but here in Scotland we travel free on the busses and we get a discount on the trains.   It is only in Scotland that busses are free for in other parts of UK they pay a percentage or a fixed rate depending on what their local Council sets.   Next week, weather permitting, I am seriously thinking in taking bus to Glasgow and then hopping on one to Edinburgh to get through there and catch the atmosphere of the Fringe for think Edinburgh will be "dancing" right now....OMG I ain't half getting adventurous in my old age or, maybe I should start to say, I am really starting to live the back nine !!!!! LOL 

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend.

Hey Sylvia, well for the record, I don't blame you  being glued to the ancestry site, especially when you have a good thread that leads you further into discovery. Also for the record, hubby doesn't have a bus pass, but some kind of card that certifies OAP status, which can give you discounts in many stores and he uses it plenty. Have fun in your new adventures sweetie, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada

Wow Sylvia...GREAT news on your family tree!!! Honest to God...I STILL sit here and daydream about my Scotland trip and meeting my relatives!!! My heart is full :))) ENJOY every moment my friend!!

Can you believe how easy it is to fill up the green waste trash cans??? I get one job done and not realizing how much work it involves and then WOW...the can is full! I can only go a couple of hors at a time with my back,,,but returning gets it all finished and what a feeling it is :)

You are on a roll Wee One...a new car and now a free bus ride to everywhere!! Get going girl...especially with good weather!

If there is a way to determine a health hazard OR actually a fire hazard with the pile of manure I will consider reporting. Fortunately as I said to Sylvie...our properties are large enough that the manure is at the furthest point but I do worry about the pile self combusting in our heat :/

Cheers for all of us for it is never too late to enjoy something new!!

Kathy and LAFD Bob

Hey there Kathy R. About the manure pile, it won't combust in heat. We always had a big manure pile here when I had my horse, most farms do till the move it or spread it with a manure spreader. It sat out in hot sun for years at times till we moved it...We did spread that stuff  annually when we could here back in the days when I had Dee, my parents and grandparents before us used the spreader too and spread it over the fields.. It would depend on zoning and how far away it is from the other houses I guess.. Here ours didn't really smell unless you were at the barn and not that bad. Usually as that stuff ages you don't get flies, mine had lime and straw in it and years ago saw dust mixed in it. Actually it's great for your flower beds and such and once it's gotten aged and it turns to soil/dirt eventually that's even better. We moved the last of ours to our compost pile with a skid loader my husband borrowed and it got eventually worked into the garden.. We always used horse manure for that, just a thought maybe it could be used for those purposes too.. Mix it in the soil in the spring...Old farm families back here do that all the time..just some info...maybe not relevant to your situation..  I don't like where they decided to dump that tho... Not cool at all messing up your walking.. Geez.. Here no public trash facility would take that type of stuff, not that I've ever heard of anyway. Maybe it's different out there with all that too..  Just my two cents to ya. An old horse lady here just wanted to give her two cents, hope you don't mind! I shoveled quite a bit of the stuff over the years!!LOL :)

I hope you can enjoy your walking soon!!!

Robin in MD:)

Hi Robin, that's good advice. If only Kathy's neighbors were considerate enough to cover it with sawdust, it might be less offensive. Out of curiosity, what does the lime do? Just wondering. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada :D

Thanks Robin :) Going back to "being green" in California and our yard waste trash company does pick up horse manure and most houses out here have since we are considered "gentlemen ranchers". We are rural but not with lots of acreage. Lots on our street are 1 1/2 acres and the largest being within our neighborhood mainly 5 acres but some hillside properties could have 10 acres. On my walks I have seen manure piles actually have steam coming from them. Is that just some kind of decomposition? I know on our commercial farms out here there have been compost piles that have self combusted. One in particular at a mushroom farm ;/  I agree the manure is great for flower beds etc. I have also seen other neighbors put large piles near the front of their yards and post a sign saying free...please take. What makes no sense is they had no regard for the walking path and dump the manure over their far back fence and now it has completely even blocked their gate from opening! They really just are being lazy and not planning correctly. They started dumping just outside the gate and in no time they blocked themselves in!!! I couldn't believe it. NO common sense. Granted they have issues at that house....parents divorcing....only a teen daughter is there with her ailing grandmother. I haven't seen either parent in a couple of years :/  Also you would think after I spoke with the stall renter AND after she has seen me walking dozens of times along that path....she would have planned better. In fact that is how she caught me and talked about the flies....I was returning on the path from my walk and continuing into my backyard. I don't really want to push it since I know the situation but shame on the renter. She is a middle aged woman and should know better. Thanks for all the info Robin...all good info for a non horse person to know!!! Maybe I could walk on it after it decomposes? Or is it too soft and my shoes will sink in?? Yipes :/

Kathy and LAFD Bob

Truly Kathy can't wait to meet relative, Sheila, and have started getting down to real basics of her visit because I actually only have four days of her this side for she then travels more eastward where she is going to visit her father's side of the family but can't wait too to see the pictures she brings over....exciting times !!! :)   On the free bus rides I have had my pass since I turned 60 but have never used.......maybe now you will all believe I am a numpty !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Sylvia   Your wee Scottish friend.

Wow Sylvie wish we could use our pass like that although have to say certain stores and especially like hairdressers etc. do take into account OAP's and do give some discounts.    Hairdressers generally give discounts to OAP's on certain days but do I know which ones and which days.....NO....because I have never taken advantage of and maybe I will use as an excuse that I'm scared I come out with a purple rinse !!!!!!!! LOL

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

Hi Folks and have to put my tuppence worth in here and say that horse manure can combust and when you see steam rising from it generally means it needs to be spread out or, in fact, it has already started to burn inside.    They add lime to it to help with the smell but you have got to be very careful when using in the garden for most vegetables and certainly members of the Rhododendron family do not like lime and in fact you will kill if you put it on them.

Now onto good news week......I have nearly finished those darn railings but I ran out of paint and just couldn't make it spread any further !!! LOL  Am going out this afternoon to get more and will get finished tomorrow as our weather has to start picking up again.  Couldn't be any worse than what we have had for we got hit with the tail end of hurricane Bertha over weekend and some of our "showers" were akin to cloud bursts and monsoon type rain.  Am just hoping it picks up for end of week for on Thursday my "new" relative arrives and from Friday to Monday I am entertaining her and her husband.  I have been in touch with a cousin on other side of river and he wants to meet so making arrangements for day that suits us all and he will join us for bite of lunch or whatever and am looking forward to whole of visit. 

Not a lot else to report except I did go to gym one day but because I decided to take Jack to vet missed other day planned.   Had been aware Jack was still losing weight so booked him in for bloods without even going back to see vet first because obviously something wrong.  He was a little star when he got his bloods taken, poor wee soul because it did hurt and got results back that day and he has hyperthyroidism, overactive thyroid gland.   Picked up prescription next day and he has now started on his pills and so far they do not appear to be having any side effects so hopefully they will help to balance everything again quickly and he can get back to normal and too they are magic because I can crush them and add to his food and so far he hasn't sussed out anything and long may that continue !!!! LOL

Hoping everyone has had a good week and looking forward to what this week holds and hoping it is all good !!! :)

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend.

Hey Sylvia, well first, thanks for the answer  to my question about the lime. Now second, wow, I’m impressed with your good news week: sounds like you were on a roll there! I guess it’s a good insentive to have relatives come over.  Looks like you’re sending your bad weather our way: we’re having 30 degree C today and tomorrow and then down to 19 and downpour from Wednesday on. I wish you a wonderful time again with your newly found relatives Sylvia!  Thanks for the update about Jack and I’m glad he’s on his way back to normal, poor thing. On my side, I’ve managed to do almost everything I’d set out to do: moving supplies is done, good will stuff is gone, storage unit and repacked baby stuff are awaiting pick-up and I even got one bag to my daughter's. I’m even starting on a new box for giveaway. Art project is coming along, but nothing moved off the computer, nor cupboards have been touched. I think I’ll just shut up about it until I have something  to talk about! Lol I know I got a lot done, but it’s annoying how some projects don’t get started. Well anyway, your railings being done will be a great accomplishment Sylvia, so pat yourself on the back and have fun catching up and visiting, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada :D

Hi ladies....I come on here to male sure you are keeping your goals up as I am NOT!!! lol What did I do? Nothing...went to Vegas instead!!! So much easier to just leave!! LOL 

Anyway...thanks for more horse manure news or is it all BS???? lol  I looked up some info to learn even more just in case there is an issue with my neighbor :) Apparently all manures can combust under certain conditions so I will keep an eye on the pile during these hot days. I like the lime idea in case it does get too smelly! 

Sylvie you are too organized and must stop it all NOW!! lol Although it is fun to have things ready for your family to use :) We never sell anything because there is always a family member that can use the item! Recycling is a great way to keep the life of items going.

Sylvia I am thrilled to hear Jack is on the road to recovery :)))

Back to doing my 1 goal....keeping up on the forum....

Kathy and LAFD Bob 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service