A few months ago Michael posted about being involved in and Andy Samberg project...well it is being released on May 10th and Michael is featured in a track entitled Jack Sparrow.  Check out more info here:

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/the-lonely-i...

Views: 10621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Gail for that article and I can't wait to hear "Jack Sparrow" and I know, a lot don't and won't like it, but I take my hat off to Michael for participating in such a venture and can understand his reasons why, for apart from a fantastic sense of humour, he is trying to draw in the young - can't fault him for that !!! :)

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

Hi all, I just came across this “Lonely Island” Turtleneck and chain” album sampler and you hear Michael for about ¾ of a second but that’s all we have for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWavMqmK58g

It’s not enough to even begin to form an opinion…. On Michael’s song anyway. There is a Lonely Island channel on Youtube, if anyone would care to keep an eye on it. Take care. Hugs to all, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Will do Sylvie and thanks for the link !!! :)

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend.

Hya Helen,

I cant believe that Michael is going to be involved in something as crude and as disgusting as an album such as this?

I am trying to keep an open mind on this but, I think the contents I've seen and heard thus far are vile and crude and not something that I would ever want Michael to be involved in.

I appreciate that Michael has an amazingly funny sense of humour, but why associate it with rude, crude lyrics?? We all loved the MB school of music, lets have more of that instead.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Michaels involvement is minimal and in good taste!! I will always love Michael no matter what he does, and will defend his decisions no matter what to anyone, but worry that involvement with something as disgusting as this and with the sexual lyrics in the other titles on the album, could damage his reputation and he could risk losing some of his older, long time die hard faithful fans.

This may look like a great way to gain younger fans, but I believe that the older fans should be considered because we are the ones who are going to be around when the younger ones have moved on.

I shall do my best to remain optimistic and open minded that Michael is just playing a small role and not singing anything rude. I am by no means or stretch of the imagination prude, I just dont like the use of sexual connotations where not necessary.

Jennifer X

Hi Jennifer, I know what you mean sweetie and to be honest, I have no intention of buying this album, but I hope the song will be on ITunes or another mp3-selling web site. This is the kind of album I want my kids to stay away from. However, I'm giving Michael the benefit of the doubt. Let's wait and see. I'm thinking that next Tuesday at the latest, we should be hearing samples on Amazon so only a few more days to wait. Take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hi Jennifer,
since you are so courageous to put your point of view on this thread, I throw my „ 2 cents“ – as  Sylvie the solver says (LOL) – in here too. Of course, everything I am evolving here is just my opinion and if I mention MB, everything I say is about how I think, feel and react on him and I do not mean to have a clue what his intentions or thoughts are. Especially I do not intend to criticize him at all.

The “Lonely Island” Trio proclaims to be comedian. So they follow the role and function of former fools at a king’s yard, who could speak about taboos, for which others would possibly have been cut back. Now, since fools and cutting back seem to be old fashioned, we have to deal with all kind of people who dare to say and sing about issues, that have great potential to irritate and/or hurt other people’s feelings. I read the available lyrics and although I totally agree with you about the rude language, I have to admit, that they bring up some ideas, which are usually not discussed on pop songs and yet are worth thinking and discussing of.
(See the article above:  SCHAFFER All that pop music is so braggy and macho that it feels like sometimes a lot of the funniest thing to do is pop music that is the opposite of that.)

I was surprised to read about e.g. male physical sexual dysfunction and - let us say - “ideas” of sons who finally understand that mothers are sexual beings with sexual needs too. (Now I refer to “Motherlover ft. J. Timberlake”).  Seemingly a very irritating thought, at least in my social environment. LOL. Well, I can hardly appreciate “the solution” these sons suggest - or at least imagine – regarding, from their perspective!, to their mother’s unfulfilled sexual lives. But it could be a beginning, if (!) they would dare to start and risk a true relationship through communication instead of fantasizing or really taking some action.

So I think, although these songs are rude and crude and I am truly convinced that they do not serve teenagers development well, at least when they are left alone with issues like these, I understand their upcoming as a part of social development too. And also I think, an adult way of dealing with them is needed. And probably this exactly is intended by Lonely Island. Reading the article makes me think that they know what they do and this gives me an idea why MB probably collaborated with them. I trust him to find his way dealing with them. Maybe he sometimes expresses (not explains or even justifies) why. I bet, his thoughts about this are very interesting

I am very curious about the Jack Sparrow-song, which I presume to be rather very funny than annoying. I love the performance of Johnny Depp, who based his characterization on The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards and whose performance was classified as a “master-class in comedy acting" (see e.g. the Wikipedia article). Since “Sparrow is a trickster who uses wit and deceit to attain his goals, preferring to end disputes verbally instead of by force” he – and MB referring to him – might offer a different pattern of behavior. Well, let us wait and see /hear.

Something I also think to be funny is the trio’s acclamation of MB being  “ the king” – hm, my Elvis-heart beats a little bit annoyed LOL - (Samberg: He’s the king. He’s awesome… and when … he was in the studio, it was like, the angels singing from the heaven, the clouds opened up and sunlight shone down on us) and at the same time they intend to push him off the throne (“Bolton, we had to get him to come down off the throne. Dude’s a legend”).

Now I am not that sure anymore, that they know what they are doing … what do they really want??? LOL. But as far as I am concerned,  I understand them. MB, no my feelings for him, confuse me too. LOL. I still chew on Sylvie’s remark, that MB is not a human juke box – no metaphor could express more truth – and yet , I can’t stop thinking of him singing this song and that one … LOL.
So these are my 2 cents and I rather stop here before writing off topic (sexual connotation, MB's reputation, ...). LOL

I hope, you all have a wonderful Mother’s day! Best wishes

Astrid

Hi everyone,

I found these today online.  I also will not be pre-ordering this CD, but I am very curious as to what Michael is going to be singing.  I assume he will be making fun of himself and his crooner ballads.  Hope it's funny and not too off color! 

Joy

(PS-They did have very nice things to say about MB!)

The Lonely Island Dish About Michael Bolton

The Lonely Island Dish About Michael Bolton

The Lonely Island are best known now for their hilarious Digital Shorts on "Saturday Night Live" — if you’ve ever put your rude bits in a box, thank them — but they’ve been kicking around for almost a decade, delivering a goofy parody of “The O.C.” called “The ‘Bu,” and rapping about debilitating isolation in “Just 2 Guyz." On Tuesday, May 10, they release Turtleneck & Chain, their second disc of silly, beats-driven raps.

The comedy trio -- Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, and Jorma Taccone — will mark the record’s release on Monday at 8 p.m. with a discussion at the Soho Apple Store. The talk will be moderated by Aziz Ansari of "Parks and Recreation." Admission is free, but the event will surely spill over in a hurry, so arrive very early (and with Susan Sarandon or Rihanna, if at all possible).

Also, the New York Times’ Arts Beat blog features an excellent interview with the Lonely Island today, including their thoughts on Turtleneck & Chain guest Michael Bolton, West Coast recreational drugs, and their hypnotic beats. It’s worth reading for the shout out to producer T-Minus.

BY Stacey Anderson // Friday, May 6, 2011 at 12:38 EDT | Print

May 6, 2011, 9:05 am

Real Beats, Fake M.C.’s: A Conversation With the Guys of The Lonely Island

The Lonely Island
F. Scott Schafer Fake hair, too: Akiva Schaffer, Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone of the Lonely Island.

They’re the hilarious trio of rap-rock-R&B innovators who are back on the scene with a new album after an all-too-long hiatus – but hey, enough about the Beastie Boys. The Lonely Island, the comedy team of Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer, whose Internet skits and parodies got them gigs on “Saturday Night Live” and the status that comes from the authorship of enduring digital shorts like “Lazy Sunday” and “Two Worlds Collide ft. Reba McEntire”, have a new record of their own.

Their second album, “Turtleneck & Chain,” which will be released on Tuesday, combines their recent “S.N.L.” hits like “The Creep” and “Motherlover” with brand new tracks like “Attracted to Us,” “After Party” and “Jack Sparrow,” a timely tribute to “Pirates of the Caribbean” with guest vocals from Michael Bolton.

In these excerpts from a recent interview, the Lonely Island teammates talked about the role of taped comedy segments on “S.N.L.,” their musical tastes and working with some of their illustrious collaborators.

Before we run out of time, tell me some tales about working with Michael Bolton.

A.

SAMBERG He’s the king. He’s awesome. And we wrote this stupid song and begged him to do it. We just kept sticking with it and stalking him, like, please do it, please do it. And then when it finally came together and he was in the studio, it was like, the angels singing from the heaven, the clouds opened up and sunlight shone down on us.

Q.

It’s so perfect that you got him. Even if you had Josh Groban, it wouldn’t have been the same.

A.

SAMBERG We had that exact discussion! We love Groban, but Bolton’s Bolton. Bolton, we had to get him to come down off the throne. Dude’s a legend.

I ONLY COPIED THE QUESTIONS REFERRING TO MICHAEL. IF YOU WANT TO READ ALL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS YOU CAN GO TO THE ACTUAL ARTICLE. BUT HEY, ALL WE REALLY WANT TO READ ABOUT IS MB RIGHT!?

Joy

Thanks Joy and I'll still say, as I have said all along, I can't wait to hear it and I must admit I do not see me buying the CD but I hope it comes up on Amazon and that you can buy the track of "Jack Sparrow" and download - I have checked to see if even the lyrics have come up for it but nothing so far - quite a lot of the songs still aren't showing lyrics - wait till Tuesday !! :)

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend.

Hi Joy and thanks for sharing your finds. You're right, Michael is all I want to hear about! :D  Have you dared to listen to the sampler? Just curious. Take care sweetie and thanks again. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada
Ok ,ive heard the song .Michael sounds fantastic in it .Some will not like it as there is a small bit of cursing .Michael sings the chorus.I actually thought it was catchy .It is about Pirates of the carribean and then goes on to Scarface and even forest gump.Im not able to make out one word Mb sings at the end so am unsure if its the word i think it is .It will not be to everyones taste but i think fair play to Mb for trying something new as a one off .xx

Thanks Sharon, you've set my mind at ease.

I'm not a prude, as you well know, but do worry about Michaels reputation.

Love Jennifer XX

I know you are not Jenn.When you are not used to this type of thing it can cause upset because its not what you expect.As i said there were a couple of curses (not as much as i expected ) but nothing that you dont hear on pg films now .If easily offended maybe dont listen to it XX

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service