Hello,

I am in Prague (Czech Republic), it is 09:30 p.m. and I have been watching a documentary on the TV about September 11, 2001 for 2 hours. I still cannot believe what happened to the USA.

I can clearly remember the moment I got the information that "something strenge" was happening in New York that day. I was at work and a colleague of mine came into my office and told me, I was supposed to run to the office of my boss, the only one office with a TV in the whole company, to watch the news from America. There have already been about 20 colleagues of mine watching the news. I was not able to realise it, I only watched the television screen with my hand over my mouth, crying, shaking my head from left to the right. Looking at people who were jumping down into death. I stood speachless. In that afternoon, I cancelled all my gets-together with my friends, cancelled shopping, cancelled cooking, cancelled calling to my friends and only sat in front of the TV as I wanted to be mentally with all my US-friends.

Do YOU remember the moment when you reached this news? Where were you at that moment? What did you do?

Does anybody know where Michael was and what he did! Just at home? Or playing a concert? Or sitting in a bus touring through the US? Or on vacation?

I just would like to let all Americans on this forum know, that America has always been the symbol of freedom to me and I will always be on your side and never forget that day.

Ivana

Views: 460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ivana:

I was with Michael on September 11, 2001. Not during the day, but later that night. He was scheduled to do a concert in Fort Worth, TX during his Opera tour with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. There was much discussion about whether to cancel the concert or to go ahead with it. They decided to not let the terrorists dictate our American way of life and that maybe somehow the music would somehow ease our pain. Michael gave a short speech before the concert, which I have heard a recording of it somewhere on the internet before. It was very eloquent. Michael did 3 arias that night and there was not a dry eye in the house. There were a lot of symphony fans there who didn't know he could sing opera. We were really overwhelmed with emotions. I really don't know how he got through that show, but he never sounded better to me. It is my most vivid memory of Michael, and that's saying a lot because I have a lot of fond memories.

Steve

Thank you, Steve !!

Ivana

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Since this forum has been around for over 2 years, we’ve had a few discussions about 9/11/01. This was the first one, in case you’d like to take a look at it:

http://www.michaelbolton.com/forum/topics/remembering-911

The pre-concert speech Michael did is pretty easy to find, but I guess it would be a good idea to post it here for those who haven’t heard it, hope you all enjoy it. Take care Steve. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Attachments:

Thanks for giving us more details Steve. I knew he was on tour and in TX and yes he did give a speech before that concert, someone shared that with us at the time. I bet that was a very emotional concert. The ones back here on the East coast I attended not long after were emotional for all of us also..I can picture him up there putting all of his emotions into the arias. Go The Distance really choked me up alot right after 9/11, every show and I went to quite a few that tour.

Thanks for sharing!!!.

Robin in MD:)

I was at my office and a co-worker came in and said a plan crashed in NYC at the World Trade Center, then we turned on the radio and it started coming across about it on there and a 2nd plane hit. Then we got out an old TV that worked in there and watched it. No work got done..We work for State Gov't here in MD and we are in the middle of these crashes, DC to the South, PA in the West and far north of us is NYC..so it was a scary time here as we didn't know where else they were going to attack. We were let go home mid-day..I'll never forget 9/11 and all that happened that day..Also the brave heros that day that gave their lives to save others. They are the ones we cannot ever forget.

To relate it to MB he was touring then and was in TX and he continued on with his show to prove that the terrorists will not defeat our spirit! I saw him in concert a few weeks later and he had the flags on the stage and his FDN hat on every show..We all felt the emotions. The gala was cancelled that year and we all donated our tix money to helping the fire depts. in NYC and MB went and visited some of them if I remember that part correctly.

Robin in MD :)

I too was in my office. My companion and to be husband, a detective, called from the police department to tell me what had happened. I remember just being in shock at first, there was no tv in the attorney's office I worked for but I turned on the radio.
I got up this morning with a knawing at me, it took me awhile to realize why I felt as I did. It has been 11 years, today has felt like then to me.
My heart goes out to those whom I know still feel the loss of their loved ones.
We are still America, we are still here, and thanks to all of our military men and women, firefighters, our American security of all branches and to the brave men and women who dedicated themselves in selfless efforts to assist in all the ways they did in this terrible American tragedy. You will never be forgotten nor the lives lost of loved ones.

Sincerely,

Kathy T.

Thanks for sharing Kathy.. I agree, so many brave women and men we owe so much to and still do keeping us safe all these years!

Thanks for that link Sylvie and lovely to hear Michael's speech.    I do not believe anyone could forget where they were and what they were doing on 9/11 and I am not going to go into some big story but just say that I worked in a children's hospital and was on my lunch break when news came through and just prior to that a call had come through to the lab to cancel a requested test for one of our little angels because she had just died......believe it doesn't take much to imagine what the emotions of all the hospital staff were that day and many more after in the face of such futility.

I'd just like to end by saying that on 9/11 I always remember those who died that day and those who are suffering still because of but in my heart, I always firstly remember, the 67 lost British souls.

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

I WILL NEVER FORGET 9/11  I WAS AT HOME GETTING READY FOR WORK WHEN I GOT A CALL FROM MY AUNT  SHE SAID TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOW   WHAT I SAW WAS HORRIFIC   I LIVE 3/4 MILE FROM WHAT WAS THE WORLD TRADE CENTER   ONE OF THE TOWERS WAS BURNING AND PEOPLE WERE RUNNING FOR THEIR LIVES (THE SECOND PLANE HAD NOT YET HIT THE SECOND TOWER)  I LEFT A FEW MINUTES LATER TO TRIED TO GET TO WORK (I NEVER MADE TO WORK THAT DAY OR WEEK)  WHILE WAITING FOR A BUS (THAT NEVER CAME) I HEARD A HUGE EXPLOSION  A PLANE HAD HIT THE SECOND TOWER  IT WAS AT THAT POINT THAT I START FOLLOWING EVERYONE AND START HEADING NORTH (UPTOWN)  I WALKED ABOUT A  MILE AND HALF WHEN I REALIZED I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET OUT OF MANHATTAN  ALL BRIDGES AND TUNNELS WERE CLOSED AND ALL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION HALTED (AT LEAST IN LOWER MANHATTAN)  I STARTED TO WALK BACK HOME  THAT IS WHEN I SAW THE SECOND TOWER FALL   I STARTED TO CRY AND PRAYED THAT EVERYONE GOT OUT THE THE TOWER SAFELY BUT I KNOW THEIR DID NOT   I MET MY AUNT AND BROTHER OUTSIDE MY BUILDING  MY BUILDING HAD BEEN EVACUATED AS A PRECAUTION   WE HAD NO WHERE TO GO SO WE JUST STOOD AROUND FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS TALKING TO NEIGHBORS  WE WERE EVENTUAL LET BACK INTO THE BUILDING  WE WATCH  TV AND IT WAS THEN THAT I LEARNED OF THE CRASHES IN DC AND PA

MOST OF YOU SAW WHAT HAPPENED ON TV  I SAW IT FIRST HAND I WAS THERE AND I NEVER WANT TO WITNESS SOMETHING LIKE THIS AGAIN   WE MUST NEVER FORGET 9/11 ESPECIALLY THE FIRST RESPONDERS THAT LOSS THERE LIVES AND THE FAMILIES WHO LOSS LOVE ONES

GLORIA

Gloria, Thank you so much for sharing your harrowing experience of 10 years ago. I know how horrific it was just watching it on television...I can imagine what you had to deal with.

Sincerely,

Anna (in MO)

Thank you for sharing, Gloria, and so sorry you and all in New York that day had to experience that tragedy. I noticed a few hours ago that across the street from my work flags are still half mast, not all are. I think that is very appropriate, my opinion of course.

Sincerely,

Kathy T.:-))

OMG GL\loria, I am so sorry you were so close to all that happened that day..I am glad you were not any closer..My goodness, I cannot imagine how horrifying it was for those so close to all of this and could do nothing to help the people at the towers in NYC or the Pentagon, and of course the heros on the plane that crashed in PA. Thank you for sharing your story with us here.

We will never forget.........

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service