You did something to me today that no one has done in a long time.  You made me cry.  It wasn't about me at all.  You lending a voice to the rebuilding, revitalizing, remembering Detroit as what it was, did that.  I would love to sit down with you and tell you the stories of my ancestors settling into Detroit.  My grandparents came over from Scotland and Ireland, worked hard in their family grocery store (very similar to Berry Gordy's family store), my great-uncles were builders and plasterers downtown, parents growing up in Detroit.  One of my favorite stories is of my grandpa giving a family an extra handful of hamburger or an extra pork chop, even though he wasn't supposed to because of rationing.  He knew it was the right thing to do.

I have someone that is very dear to me, my other mother, who is now 92 could tell you endless stories of everyday life in Detroit.  She was my mom's best friend and one of the smartest, if not the smartest, woman I have ever known.  She lives in New Port Richey, Fl as of right now.   Even I have stories of my family living in Brightmoor and some of my own as Detroit grew and expanded.  So with me telling stories would cover three generations in Detroit.   Obviously, not everything was beautiful but we have to raise the people from the quagmire that they have been living in, whether by choice or not. 

I miss Detroit, a lot!  I still want to move back and move right downtown.  Someday, soon I hope to do that.  There is soooo much that people who haven't lived there, don't know or understand.  I have to admit that many of my classmates ('73) still live around Detroit but not many in Detroit. 

I have recently connected with a young man, who is one of a group of a younger adults, that has returned to Detroit to add their talents in rebuilding their fair city.  His name is Shannon Cason and is a storyteller and resides in Detroit.  He can be contacted thru shannoncason.com.  Maybe he connect you with more people who are working to do what you are doing, just maybe not on the same financial level, or as well known as others you are working with.  Please feel free to contact me at smc1955_40@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,

Shawn M. McFall

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Shawn and welcome to the forum. First, thank you for sharing about your family’s history in Detroit. We are told that Michael doesn’t actually read this forum since he’s so busy, but he does have people checking it for him. This is to say you shouldn’t expect a reply from Michael on this site.  Now second, may I ask what has moved you so much from Michael? I mean, have you seen a report on TV etc? We have read articles and heard/seen reports and interviews from Michael for a while on the subject. The pertinent  info is collected on the “Motor City” discussion  thread:

http://www.michaelbolton.com/forum/topics/motor-city-tv-show

I’m under the impression, from the last article posted, that the documentary might be completed filming.  By the way, may I ask if you’ve always been a fan of Michael’s or you’ve just “discovered” him because of his interest towards Detroit? Just wondering. Well anyway, thanks again for sharing Shawn, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada :D

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service