2012 TOUR REVIEW THREAD-PLEASE SHARE YOUR 2012 MB CONCERT ADVENTURES WITH US HERE!!!!

HELLO EVERYONE, Since the 2011 Tour Review Thread is not playing nice and throwing us all back to the beginning lately, Gail asked if I would go ahead and start the 2012 thread. So here it is.. We can all share our excitement for Michael's upcoming touring and events in 2012 and chat and have fun here till the shows start in 2012.

Everyone is welcome to post and share their stories and pictures, videos from concerts and trips to see Michael do what he does best-SING!!!   Michael will be touring in 2012 starting so far with some shows the end of January.  There could be other events sooner too so if anyone attends a great Bolton event/concert, feel free to share your experience here.  I hope to have a review after the Chester, PA show on January 28th along with some other fans that have gotten tickets for that show and  the Atlantic City, NJ show on January 27th as well!  After that there are shows in Australia so far listed for 2012.  Following those shows we have the Concert for MBC and Traveler's Golf Event in June, 2012 and later on the MBC Gala in Sept.. We already have some exciting events to look forward to next year and I know there will be much more to come.

I am looking forward to another fun year of posts and sharing by the best Michael Bolton fans in the world on this forum.. I will post events to keep the thread moving along as the concerts come up as before.

Welcome everyone!!!!!

Robin in Maryland USA :)

Views: 75308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Next show is NOV 27th EKU Center for the Arts in Richmond, KY

Found a great phone  interview article.  Anyone going?  Please come back and tell us all about it!!
Joy

NJ

Singer Michael Bolton isn't afraid of the old or the new

Published: November 25, 2012

Michael Bolton will be at EKU Center for the Arts on Tuesday.

• Michael Bolton

When: 8 p.m. Nov. 27

Where: EKU Center for the Arts, Richmond

Tickets: $55-$70; available by calling (859) 622-7469 or at Ekucenter.com.

— Contributing Music Writer

Michael Bolton sensed the question was coming.

We were concluding a portion of our phone interview dealing with his versions of the soul classics (Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay, Georgia on My Mind and When a Man Loves a Woman and whether he had any trepidations about recording such revered music.

Bolton's reply was thoughtful and detailed. He described how adventurous new music begins by rediscovering pop's past and how taking on such sacred-ground songs wasn't in any way inappropriate as long as proper respect and notice was paid to those who created the song in the first place.

"What you learn when you have a giant hit with a classic is that you're bringing the song back to life," said Bolton, who performs Tuesday at the EKU Center for the Arts in Richmond. "How can that ever be a bad thing? Worst-case scenario: You sing it, nobody likes it and nobody hears it. The best-case scenario: People start talking about the song, who wrote it, who produced it and who gave it to us a gift.

"Think of the things that wouldn't have happened — like, perhaps, The Beatles — if someone hadn't been moved and inspired to embrace someone else's work of art and say, 'Here's my interpretation. Hope you like it.' And you just do it. One thing leads to another. As long as you're respectful and mindful that there are people who are very connected to the original version, then you're simply singing the praises of the artist and writer who first delivered that song."

Bolton, 59, should know. From 1987 to 1991, he turned all three soul staples into popular singles again, interspersing them with newly composed pop hits like Soul Provider, How Am I Supposed to Live Without You and Love Is a Wonderful Thing.

But this wasn't the question that Bolton knew was headed his way. Sensing our interview time was growing short, I wanted to make sure we could still talk about ...

"Jack Sparrow?"

Yep. He knew it was coming, alright. How could he not?

In the parody created last year by The Lonely Island, a hip-hop comedy trio featuring then-Saturday Night Live star Andy Samberg, a hard-core rap video gets hijacked by Bolton's obsession with Johnny Depp's lead character from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. With the same scratchy R&B/soul tenor that colored his radio hits, a straight-faced Bolton sings his heart out on what he calls his "big, sexy hook": "This is the tale of Capt. Jack Sparrow, pirate so brave on the Seven Seas." Dressed in Sparrow's pirate garb and eye shadow, Bolton stands in the crow's nest of a ship, belting. But then he detours into dressing up as the lead characters from Forrest Gump, Erin Brockovich and Scarface. It's hysterical, bizarre, even nonsensical.

The video debuted on SNL in May 2011 and became a viral sensation overnight. At present, it has more than 94 million hits on YouTube.

Bolton was game to poke fun at himself from the get-go, but he initially passed on the obscenity-filled script The Lonely Island people gave him for the project.

"Their script was so raunchy at moments," Bolton said. "So I told them that as funny as I thought it was, I just couldn't do it. My fan base and the people that have been loyal to me for many years aren't going to get some of this language. They're not going to appreciate it. And they said, 'We get that a lot. Give us some time to tweak it.' I figured they were just saying that, and that I wouldn't hear from them again.

"Then I started getting emails from Andy Samberg saying, 'I think we've got it.' Eight months later, I'm in Atlanta and they're calling me to sing the vocals. You could tell from the video footage they shot that they were being very ambitious. It took two 17-hour days to make, and those guys were funny as could be. So the next thing I know, I'm at the Saturday Night Live set. I find a little hiding place up in the studio and I watch it, and I hear people starting to laugh.

"At the after-party, John Mayer was telling me, 'Michael, when this thing goes viral on Sunday, there are going to be people who don't even know your music who are going to be in love with this film.' The next morning, my oldest daughter said, 'Dad, you're not going to believe this.' She monitored a million hits the first day. This was for a three-minute video."

That brought to mind the line Bolton used earlier about recording his own versions of the vintage soul hits: "One thing leads to another."

"There is a whole audience for me now of 14-year-old guys who are huge fans of our version of Jack Sparrow. I'm on people's radar now just because I was open to doing something different."

Read Walter Tunis' blog, The Musical Box, at LexGo.com.

Thanks for the read of the interview again Joy but Gail has already posted it in a separate thread she started a couple of days ago so already read there .....but hey thanks again for putting on here !! :)

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend.

Sylvia,

Yes, I just saw that Gail did that today! Oh well, it belongs here also. 

Joy

Great thanks,

so beautiful ♥♥

Marie from Prague

Love the article. A lot of truth in what he said concerning remakes. Michael is just extremely versital. Love it. Boltonnut from L.
A.CA who loves life & Michael Bolton :) thanks for the article.

I meant to ask tomorrow night? Oops. My bad.

I've just gotten back from the Emporia, VA show.  I went with my daughter and granddaughter who loves Michael.  She had never been before and we were able to take her this time.  She loved it. Kept asking me when he was going to sing certain songs and upset when people didn't clap the whole time!!LOL  The show was in the auditorium of an elementary school but it was very nice and much biggern than I remember my elementary school auditorium. Michael had a lot of new jokes tonight about his dressing room being a second grade classroom and how uncomfortable he was because he didn't do well in the second grade.  The crowd was great but took them a while to warm up to responding but when they did it was great.  His show is a little different than the last one I saw.  I know I'm going to leave something out but to the best of my recollection this is the set list:

Soul Provider

Said I Loved You

To Love Somebody

Sweet Home Chicago

Dock of the Bay

Hope It's Too Late

Make You Feel My Love w/ Kelly

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
How Am I Supposed To Live Without You

Silent Night w/ Kelly

The Prayer w/Kelly

Kelly did a medley of songs MB wrote for others

When A Man Loves A  Woman
We Can't Be Lovers

Time Love and Tenderness

Go The Distance

I could have left something out but think this is all.  Here are a few of my pics!  Enjoy!!! Gail

Hi Gail - I was there as well! It was a pretty interesting venue, indeed :) As for the list of songs he performed tonight, you got them all but one : You Don't Know Me . Loved the jokes too, poor kid :)

Thanks a million for your review Gail and setlist and especially, 'cause you know me and photos, for ALL those beautiful pics......thanks so much Gail and would just like to add that this morning I have word back from Shawn Rene Zimmerman and she is going to look through her photos this week and send us the best.....aren't I glad MB's on the road again having all these lovely things to read about and see when I come on-line.   Have got to add though that if he played a "school hall" he would adore the Vikingar Theatre in Largs....beautiful hotel practically next door, two golf courses and scenery to die for and as I believe we are supposed to have broken away from the east coast of the US when the world was round with no water in between and when you look at Scotland, in particular, we could fit into the CT area, Michael could feel completely and utterly right at home here !!! LOL    Think I will take out an ad in some local Westport newspaper and head it "Michael, Please Come to Largs !!!!" ..... ROFL

Glad to hear too Nic that you managed to go to the show and so hope you thoroughly enjoyed it !! :)

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

Hoping much for your concert too, Wee One!!!!!!

Hugs,

Kathy T. :-)

Thanks Nic for posting the other song and glad you got to go also!!!!  I bet those jokes were priceless!!LOL

Robin in MD:)

Hiya Nic, you hadn’t told us you were going girl! So is there anything else you’d like to share: a special moment, did you get to the stage or take pics or videos you’d like to share? What did you think of the new song? Now if Michael signed autographs in De, did he sign some in Va? I know, lots of questions, sorry... XD We’d love to hear more sweetie: good thing there are more concerts, we’re starving for reviews... :D Take care Nic. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service