American Idol 2012-2013 (Season #11 & Season #12)

AMERICAN IDOL 2012 & 2013

Welcome anyone watching Idol who would like to talk about it.

We are continuing this discussion with the current season #12

Join in!

Hi everyone,

I think enough of us are watching American Idol (AI) to make this thread worthwhile. So I am taking Sylvie from Canada's suggestion to move it from New Tour Reviews 2011 and give it it's own thread here in Off Topic. Since tonight starts the top 11 voting, it's getting interesting and a good time to start talking about it.

I have been a fan since it started 10 years ago. Hard to believe it's been on that long, not many TV shows last that long. So to anyone watching: "who is your favorite?"

Joy

from the Jersey Shore

Views: 8337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Gloria and Joy, thank you both so much for posting these! I can't wait to hear Mary's comment on it! lol I just love this video so much, I never gave a second thought at reading the comments, Joy: the sound of an opening mind is beautiful, isn't it? :D Love those comments! Thanks again girls, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canadaç

Hey Gloria,

That was so funny, thanks I needed that!

Mary(Meg's mom)!

Here is a recap/review of Thrus. night AI, when Pia left:

From americanidol.com:

EPISODE RECAPS

Thursday, April 7th 2011

April Fools?
by The AI Insider

"River deep, mountain high, if I lost you would I cry?"

For the third week in a row, the show started with a potentially foreshadowing sentence: "This is what could be a very shocking results show tonight." Ryan Seacrest says that every week now, which is becoming anything but a shocker.

Jennifer Lopez, Randy Jackson, and Steven Tyler walked out on stage, and it appeared to be "Interesting Pants Night" on American Idol. I wonder if Gwen Stefani had anything to do with that.

The Top 9 rocked out to a mash-up of rock songs. The ladies sang "I Love Rock 'n Roll" and the guys sang "Sweet Home Alabama," and I heard a little bit of "The Letter" in there.

After watching this week's music video, we saw footage from earlier in the week when the Top 9 were surprised by Russell Brand. The funny man gave tips and pointers to the Idols on how to perform, including balancing on one leg while holding the other up by your ear. Russell talked about the need to get into the judges' heads to see what they're thinking, but he could easily do that, as he's married to a Season 9 American Idol guest judge!

After that fun escape, it was results time. One-third of the contestants would be in the bottom three tonight. I'm good at math; I taught Randy Jackson everything he knows about percentages. Ryan had Casey Abrams, Stefano Langone, and Lauren Alaina join him on the stage. After making a "From Justin to Kelly" reference, Ryan told Casey he was safe. Lauren was also safe, but she wasn't safe in the bleachers--she tripped as she was scaling them. And that's not the first time she's tripped on camera! That meant Stefano was the first finalist in the bottom 3.

Constantine Maroulis helped pave the way for rockers on American Idol, and the Tony-nominee returned to the American Idol stage to perform "Unchained Melody." I thought he should sing an '80s rock song from "Rock of Ages," but he sounded great with The Righteous Brothers' song (that Lauren Alaina sang twice during the audition process). He had a scarf on his microphone, which was very Steven Tyler of him. Come to think of it, Constantine looks like Russell Brand, only Russell is doe-eyed and Constantine makes "sexy" eyes at the camera.

We saw footage of Gwen Stefani styling the Top 3 girls. She was nervous to style them, but how cool for the girls to work with such a big star! She ended her fashion session with "Cuddles," her cutesy nickname for hugs.

Back to business, Ryan called Paul McDonald, Scotty McCreery, and Pia Toscano over. After recapping their performances, Ryan revealed that Scotty and Paul were safe, and for the first time Pia was in the bottom three. Okay, wow, that is shocking!

The finalists were really getting the star treatment this week. They went to TMZ to find out how to handle press, and the TMZ staff poked fun at some of their quirks.

The final group of three was called up, and one would be in the bottom. James Durbin, Haley Reinhart, and Jacob Lusk all had strong performances, but it was Jacob who landed in the bottom three for the first time.

A shirtless Iggy Pop performed "Wild One" on the Idol stage. I would question the decision to not wear a shirt, but to have abs like that at 63--no need to cover 'em up! After the performance Ryan commented, "I think I need to cut out carbs after seeing that."

It was time for the "could be very shocking" news. Ryan did a huge fake-out to make everyone think Jacob was going home, when in fact he was safe. It came down to Stefano and Pia, and Ryan said Pia was leaving us tonight. WHAT?! Time stood still and jaws dropped as one of the strongest voices on Idol was eliminated. Ryan said, "We can't end it this way." Yay! April Fools? No, it's 6 days too late. Another save? Save! Save! Save! Darn, my chanting didn't work. Ryan just meant that it was time for Pia to sing her swan song. The judges and contestants stood up with mouths agape as Pia attempted to get through "I'll Stand By You," but she seemed a little out of sorts, as she very well should be.

I'm sure many people will "stand by [Pia]" as she embarks on her post-Idol journey. Until next week, I'll be doing finger flexes and calisthenics to get ready for some serious Top 8 voting.

Hi Folks,

The video of the "The Michael Bolton School of Michael Bolton" is in our video section  so you can add it to your favourites and play it all the time - not that I do - just occasionally to have a good laugh, about every day, especially at the kid's expressions !! :)

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend.

Hi all,

I wanted to talk about the voting system of AI. It is part of the problem, always has been.

1) Do you know about the website VoteForTheWorst.com? It has been around quite a few years. Anyone who hates AI will go here to find out who the worst contestant is, vote for them and hopefully keep them in the show as long as possible, thus screwing with the show and all of us who watch faithfully. Perfect example: remember Sanjaya Malakar from season 6, was in the top 10, made it to 7th place before being voted off! Remember the different ridiculous hair do's every week? He was a joke. Well, I know people who do like Paul, but he is it this year:

2) You can vote as many times as you want or can in the allotted 2-3 hours of voting. I tried it one time and got in 10 votes by phone in 5 minutes for the same person. At one time there was talk about bogus computer generated voting of thousands of votes for the same person on one computer. Anyone being able to that is really cheating. I think they put a stop to that somehow. Teen girls are the main ones who vote, so they probably vote for the cutest guy, even if he can't sing that great. They also will vote for hours straight probably bragging to their other girlfriends how many times they voted. Other shows limit your votes to 10 per email account or phone number. That is better, sure you can still get in quite a few votes using different cell phones in your house and different emails, but not as many as the unlimited Idol way. They need to change the voting system.

Crikey, I've never seen a site like this before. Serious damage. I dont think we have anything like this in the UK.

I just had at this Paul McDonald to see if he's as bad as they say or if its just that he's not a pretty as the rest and he's georgous!!!! What a hunk!! He sings alright too? I wonder what they dont like about him really?

Shame everythings so twisted isnt it?

Love Jennifer XX

Hi Jennifer, I can only comment on the audio so have no idea how gorgeous Paul is. However, this is a singing competition, to my knowledge, although I'm painfully aware that it's not always sufficient  to succeed. In any case, I think it's a matter of taste sweetie: I think Paul has a James Blunt thing going on and although I enjoy some of James Blunt's songs, I do not care for his voice, but that's just me. I don't mean to offend anyone. Take care Jennifer. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hi Joy...yes I know of this site. My son told me about it as soon as AI started. I believe there might even be one for DWTS? Not sure. A perfect example of what bad computing can do. Too many selfish people out there in cyber world!!!! My son is working on his Statistics Phd and studies social networking for his dissertation (so he follows these trends) and he said a reliable site that predicts the fore runners on AI had Pia in the top. So my son believes that definitely something fishy is going on. What I want to know is....why doesn't AI care enough to investigate? Or are they just as sleazy as the selfish ones in cyber world and just want the controversy for ratings? What have we all become??? Jumping off my soap box........very carefully so as to not hurt my back again!!! lol

Kathy and LAFD Bob

These 2 M&M's are getting ready to sit down and watch AI! Her dad tapes them and we get to fast forward

on the commercials! But before we watch it, I want to go on record now, and predict Paul to be in the Bottom 3. And Stefano (Meg says)

Tomorrow night! Who do you all think will go home?

The M&M's:)!

Hi Mary, so what do you think after watching it last night? I agree about Paul being in the bottom 3. I do think that Stefano did better than last week though. Judging from last night’s performances, I’d say Haley could be in the bottom 3. What do you think? Incidentally, out of curiosity, does anyone of you guys vote? Just checking.I heard Kelly Clarkson was going to be on tonight, I love Kelly! Let me know what you thought of last night’s show. Take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hey Sylvie,

No I don't vote...Sorry, but I'm on Meg's plan! She hasn't voted yet, but she will next week I'm sure!

I'm waiting for her to get home now, so we can watch it tonite. I already saw where Paul got the boot!

I cheated:)! I'm gonna send you a message so check your messages!

Mary (Meg's mom)!

How about that duet with Kelly & Jason Aldean, I love that song!

Mary (Meg's mom)!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service