Miscellany but exceptionally relevant information about, or from Michael on, MB.

Thought I would start this thread for there does appear, at times, to be different relevant articles, tweets, retweets, pictures etc relating to Michael but not really fitting into an already recognized thread nor, each of them individually, being able to be grouped together where a relevant thread could be started and so decided on this "Miscellany" thread.   

I hope you agree with its relevance and that you enjoy everything that is put in as well as hoping that many will find interesting tidbits about Michael that can be included and help to make this, whilst a serious sharing of information, a FUN page to be able to visit too and, as is my intention, somewhere that everything which does not have a particular "home" can be placed, so that is all grouped together and can be easily found and located if someone wants to look at.

Here now, so that we can all focus on the main reason for this thread, is a beautiful picture of the "Theme" of the thread.......wonder if MB has ever been called that before ???? LOL. 

Believe this one definitely belongs in here for I would say sharing with us that coconut sorbet is his favourite dessert is both miscellaneous and more than extremely relevant to the "THEME" of this website and in particular, to this thread  !! LOL.

Hope everyone enjoys content and feels free to add their very own miscellany !!! :)

SPECIAL POSTS    

MICHAEL DID A QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION ON FACEBOOK ON 3RD FEBRUARY, 2015 AND THOSE QUESTIONS TO WHICH MICHAEL REPLIED CAN BE FOUND ON THIS THREAD FROM PAGE 259 TO 266.

A separate thread has been created for the Q&A Session and it can be found at  http://www.michaelbolton.com/forum/topics/michael-s-question-and-an...

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

Views: 115209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there and who are you again ?????????????????????    Oh yeah, I remember ..... the "pest" from FB and Twitter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  To be serious, about your "special music", it wouldn't matter to me where you put it, right now, for my speakers have gone so I can't hear anything !!! LOL   Hopefully, one day, I will hear it !!!! LOL

Have you got any gigs coming up for Christmas this year ????

Hope you're having a super Thanksgiving !!! :)

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend

Super pic of Michael with Kenny G and Richard Marx from last night.  They were out at dinner together in CA and Richard has posted this pic to FB.  He did have a periscope video out of them all but by time I tried to access broadcast wasn't available so believe he took it down but this pic is super and it shows Kenny G and Richard sitting with Michael standing in between them leaning on back of Richard's chair and they just all look so happy and relaxed ... lovely pic and glad Richard shared.

Sylvia   Your wee Scottish friend

Great pic of them! Three great musical masterminds together. Never know, maybe some new collaborations in the works! :)

Thanks for posting here.

This is a keeper!

Robin in MD :)

What a great pic of some awesome talent! Thanks, Sylvia!

Anna (in MO)

Thanks for pic description Sylvia.  I would personally be surprised at a new collaboration, but glad to hear Michael is not working all the time. :D Thanks again Sylvia, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada :D

It was a dinner party with whole load of people and believe Richard is becoming more used to being open about his relationship with Daisy Fuentes and she was in periscope video with the three of them and they seemingly were all joking about and Kenny G was the funniest.  Believe pic might have been put out when he realized he had not set periscope video to remain and a few people, me included, let him know it had gone and we hadn't seen and probably Michael and Kenny G told him too because he sent it to them on Twitter and they maybe went to retweet and realized nothing there !!! lol

Sylvia   Your wee Scottish friend

I've had the experience to see all 3 in concert & have met Richard, &, of course, Michael. Once again, thanks for all picture descriptions.

Hi Gail and seems to be that you either have to subscribe or register before you can read article.  I've tried to find in the Chicago Tribune but can't locate it.  Thanks for trying to give us something new to read !!! :)

Sylvia  Your wee Scottish friend

Oh sorry.  It went right in for me.  Last try it asked if I wanted to subscribe and I said no thanks and it let me in.  Sylvie...put it here so that makes it easier.

Hey Gail, very nice interview, thanks for posting, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada :D

Hi Sylvia, we're not learning anything new, but here's the article. Take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie Qc Canada :D

Michael Bolton is just getting started-Chicago Tribune

Genesee Theatre / Handout

Michael Bolton will perform at the Genesee Theatre in Waukegan on Dec. 8.

Sheryl DeVore, News-Sun 11:11 am, December 2, 2015

Grammy award winner and songwriter Michael Bolton is known for his rich, soulful voice, which he's used to sing many genres including blues, the '60s and contemporary rock.

The iconic crooner has released 17 studio albums, five of which have been certified multi-platinum in the U.S. His greatest hits include "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" and "When A Man Loves a Woman," which Bolton promises to perform when he comes to the Genesee Theatre Dec. 8.

The News-Sun recently asked Bolton about the ups and downs of his career, his musical influences, his new album and his dedication to several charities.

News-Sun: Singer. Songwriter. Which defines you the most and why?

MB: As much as I will always be a songwriter, I still consider myself a singer first and will record any song that I feel emotionally and creatively drawn to. There is a legacy in a great song that lives on far beyond its singers, but each interpretation breathes new life into it. Hits from the Motown catalog, for example, have been covered multiple times by a wide range of artists from the Beatles to the Stones. Those are also all artists who are incredible songwriters in their own right, but as singers and musicians they can't resist recording and performing great material.

News-Sun: Growing up, was becoming a songwriter and singer on the top of your list of what you wanted to do with your life?

MB: I was drawn to music as early as I can remember. My mother was a big music appreciator and used to play the piano. My brother was always turning me onto new bands and the latest rock or rhythm and blues musicians. As a family we would gather around the TV and watch musical performers on "The Ed Sullivan Show," and I remember being able to sing along with just about any melody on the radio. As a kid, a lot of what I was hearing on the radio was Motown, coming out of Detroit. Singers like Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, those were some of my earlier influences. And of course the songwriters and producers behind the Motown machine — like Holland-Dozier-Holland, Ashford and Simpson — they were churning out hits that would get recorded and played the world over. I was writing lyrics at a young age just to have a vehicle for expressing myself. But I didn't know songwriting was a career until much later. All of my teenage years were more focused on singing and I was signed as a recording artist at age 15. But then I was dropped two years later and therein began the very long road to ever having success as a singer. Somewhere along the way, I was introduced to the concept of writing songs for other artists, and it was something that I immediately had success with. CBS Songs signed me to a publishing contract and it seems like everything I wrote was getting recorded by a major artist — from Kenny Rogers and Conway Twitty to the Pointer Sisters and Joe Cocker. The big breakthrough came with "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" for Laura Branigan and after that I was writing comeback hits for Cher, Barbra Streisand, KISS and others. I've since written with artists as diverse as Lady Gaga and Bob Dylan, and had my own recordings sampled by Jay Z and Kanye West.

News-Sun: Did you sing in school choirs, musicals? What are your memories of those times?

MB: I would basically just sing to anything I heard on TV or the radio, or on a new album that my brother would bring home. It was just what I did and what people came to expect. And then we put together different bands and I would perform at birthdays or bar mitzvahs or anywhere that people would listen. I was performing in bars before I was old enough to drink in them! I was busing from Greenwich Village to the Yale campus. Those times were all memorable because there was a real environment of music.

News-Sun: You started your career in the hard rock/heavy metal genres. What was that like and why did you change to your rock ballad style?

MB: The first genre of music that I started performing was actually the blues. I was only 15 or so singing in bars and people thought I was an older black musician from just hearing me sing. It wasn't until my 20s when Ted Nugent's management company took me on that I was formed into a hard rock band, going by the name Blackjack and I was the lead singer, with Bruce Kulick on guitar. Production-wise, the "wall of sound" was what we were going for and my vocals just had to be heard above it. We put out two albums on Polydor that flopped. Bruce later went on to play with KISS while I went on to pursue a solo career. I was still songwriting on the side, basically to make money to support my family since Blackjack wasn't exactly making ends meet. When we came to the end of our recording contract, I was expecting to be dropped, just as I'd been so many times before. But much to my surprise, the president of the label, Al Teller, sat me down and said he wanted to give me another chance, but this time as a solo artist and he wanted me to start recording the songs I was writing for others. Apparently the secretaries in the office were all listening to my demos and passing them around. That was the first sign of what would become a core fan base.

News-Sun: Tell us about the success of your rendition of "Dock of the Bay," in 1987 and how it affected you and Otis Redding's widow.

MB: I learned from recording the Otis Redding classic to follow my instincts musically and — rather than be intimidated by the huge footprints of these vocal giants who inspired me in my youth — to step up and most respectfully deliver my interpretation. If you're inspired by the music and the definitive version that moved you, it's likely you'll bring a new audience to the work and artistry that contributed to enrich your life as an artist. Meeting Zelma Redding was a life altering experience and confirmation to go with my gut. The song won another most played song award and Steve Cropper (who wrote and produced "Dock of the Bay" with Otis) and I became friends as well. Always go with your musical instincts!

News-Sun: Tell us how you came to sing a ballad for "Fathers & Daughters" and what it meant for you to do this. It's been your first release since 2011. What was it about this particular songwriting/singing opportunity that compelled you to do it?

MB: It was around this time last year that I was invited to a screening of a new film starring Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried. I didn't know what to expect but as I sat alone in the dark empty screening room, I was immediately gripped by the movie that unfolded and left in a pile of tears by the end. The movie, "Fathers & Daughters," resonated with me on such a deep level, having three daughters of my own, and I immediately had in mind a theme song concept. Collaborating with the writing/producing team Eman Kiriakou and Evan Bogart, the song came to fruition quickly and became the end title.

News-Sun: Who has been the biggest influence in your life and why?

MB: There are so many people who have encouraged, guided and inspired me. Enough in fact to write an autobiography, which is what I did! But seriously, I've had some incredible mentors and muses and sometimes they don't even know the impact they have on me, each in unique ways. But I would say it all started with my parents, who never doubted me and always supported me to follow this dream.

News-Sun: You are working on a new album? Can you tell us when it's due and what fans will get to hear when it's released?

MB: We haven't chosen all of the songs for the album yet. I'm actually using the Pledge Music platform to source ideas from my fans and they've offered up some great suggestions so far, like "Stand By Me" and "I Will Always Love You." I really just wanted to find songs and movies that were beloved around the world so that I could share them with my audiences in every country. I would say with music from the movies there is an added layer of connectivity that you're looking for as an artist because people can relate back to a memory or experience they had around that musical moment in the film.

News-Sun: What are you singing for your fans while on this tour, which will bring you to Illinois? Are there certain pieces your fans request, and if so, why do you think they like those particular songs so much?

MB: I'm always conscious that my lifelong fans are coming to hear the greatest hits. I also like to introduce my audience to new genres and musical guests. The repertoire is always evolving. I like to make the concert into a real musical journey and tell stories along the way. The audience likes to chime in, we joke around and we always have a lot of fun together. There are several fan favorites that strike a chord with different experiences or feelings — like with "How Can We Be Lovers" or "Time Love & Tenderness." Those songs really get people revved up, while songs like "Said I Loved You" or "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" get them quiet and more emotional. But I think a big crowd pleaser is still "When a Man Loves A Woman" because the way we position it comes as a special surprise during the show.

News-Sun: What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment in your career and in your life in general?

MB: I never dreamed that one day I would share the stage with icons like Luciano Pavarotti, Ray Charles, BB King, that I would meet and even work with so many of my heroes, from Bob Dylan to Lamont Dozier, that I would meet the Queen of England and perform in front of Princess Diana, that I would play golf with Bill Clinton and Clint Eastwood. And certainly not that I would become a viral video sensation with over 140 million YouTube views from dressing up like a pirate! Of it all, though, I honestly can say that having my three daughters and now seeing them create their own families is one of the most gratifying parts of my life.

News-Sun: You are working on several causes including assisting women and children at risk for the effects of poverty and abuse, plus bringing the greatness of the city of Detroit to light. Why are those causes so important to you and what others are you working on or would like to be working on?

MB: Early on as a struggling artist trying to support a wife and three daughters, I was continuously facing the risk of homelessness. That was terrifying. But I had no backup plan. I vowed that if and when I ever came into success, that I would find ways to bring support to women and children at risk. It was in the process of exploring the shelters around my hometown in Connecticut that I discovered that domestic violence was a leading reason women and their children were driven to seek safety in the shelters. Being the father of three daughters, it was just unthinkable to me that a man could ever raise his hand to a woman or child. It's just not how I was raised. So I became very personally involved in legislation around VAWA (the Violence Against Women Act). I also realized from performing at various fundraisers that celebrity is a kind of currency and so I started fundraising around my own foundation, the Michael Bolton Charities, now in its 22nd year, which disperses funds to organizations around the country that are addressing this critical issue of women and children at risk. The Detroit connection is quite a different initiative and passion, but also relating back to the values of my upbringing. I always had this vision of the American Dream, and at the time that image was very much related to the Motor City, the backbone of America's economy and the arsenal of democracy, the home of Motown music and the first march of Martin Luther King. We grew up believing in civil rights and the right to work. I didn't realize it at the time but Detroit was the embodiment of these ideals — until a series of complex circumstances created a domino effect toward its downfall. I believe the comeback of Detroit is both a symbolic and tangible reality that we all should be  invested in.

News-Sun: Is there anything you haven't done in your life that you'd like to accomplish? What is it and how do you plan on accomplishing it?

MB: There are too many things to list that I intend to do. As I said in my book, I feel like I'm just teeing off on the back nine.

Currently, I'm very excited about the ABC scripted comedy that we are developing with Gail Berman and Ricky Blitt. We're calling it "House Sitters" and it revolves around a very unlikely and funny dynamic between myself and two girls who go from house sitting to becoming my assistants. The clash of our worlds and perspectives creates some very hilarious scenarios. There is a slate of other TV and film projects that I'm in development or production on, including the documentary we just completed on the revitalization of Detroit. I'm continuously writing and recording new music, touring around the world, showing up for charity events and also expanding the initiatives of my own foundation

News-Sun: What have your fans meant to you over the years?

MB: I would be nothing without my fans so what can I say, they mean everything to me.

Sheryl DeVore is a freelance writer.

Michael Bolton

When: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 8

Where: Genesee Theatre, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan

Tickets: $48-$68

Information: 847-782-2366;

www.genesetheater.com

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85206496/

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service