NEW 2011 TOUR REVIEW THREAD-PLEASE SHARE YOUR REVIEWS WITH US HERE!!!!

Here we go with the New 2011 Concert Tour Review Thread. Michael's tour begins again in the USA in Florida on January 13, 2011!!!!!!!!  I hope Michael is well rested and ready to get back out on the road!

Please share your concert experiences, pictures, video links etc. with us here. We love hearing about the concerts and the great times had by the fans.

You all have made these threads fun in the past and I look forward to more adventures and fun this year!!

I look forward to reading everyone's reviews once again and also contributing some of my own in 2011!

Have fun everyone!! Not much longer till Michael and the band hit the road again!

Robin in Maryland,  USA

Views: 43901

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Michael Bolton is bringing his soundtrack

- For the News-Democrat

Listening to Motown's rhythm and blues singers while growing up in Connecticut was a huge turning point in Michael Bolton's life.

"Ray Charles was the strongest influence on me, single after single on the radio, then my brother introduced me to a record by Little Stevie Wonder. He played me 'Fingertips.' They were singer's singers. That was when I realized what people could do with their voices," Bolton said during a phone interview. "Those singers, plus Marvin Gaye and others, short of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, were the most influential."

The prolific award-winning soul singer will perform Thursday at the Family Arena in St. Charles, part of a 110-city tour that has taken him around the world. He scored his first hit record at age 34, and has been touring ever since. A true survivor, he has amassed a loyal fan base, multiple Grammys and American Music Awards, and two No. 1 singles, along with a plethora of Top 40 hits and platinum albums. He has recorded 35 singles and 17 albums.

Encountering his hero, Ray Charles, was one of the biggest thrills Bolton has had as a performing artist. "I got to meet and spend time with him, and it was a great honor. I said 'the student finally meets the master,' and I started gushing," he said. "Then I got to sing 'Georgia On My Mind' in front of him as he sat on the stage being inducted into the Jazz Hall of Fame. It was an out-of-body experience."

While meeting other artists he has admired is one of the perks of a long career, he has discovered one common thread. "They're just like everyone else. But as kids, they only wanted to do one thing, and that was sing, and in some cases, write music. We get to talk about the journey. You get the inside information on their careers, but everyone knows it's a long road, full of ups and downs, and you get to do what you always loved, and travel the world, and there's no small debt of gratitude for that," he said.

For his latest album, "Gems," he recorded duets with such major artists as Rascal Flatts, Seal and Chris Botti. Some up-and-comers like Orianthi, who was a guitarist with Michael Jackson and is featured in "This Is It," recorded "Steel Bars" with him. Lara Fabian sang what Bolton refers to as David Foster's masterpiece, "The Prayer."

His excitement over spending three days recording "Love is Everything" with Rascal Flatts in Nashville, and a mash-up of "When a Man Loves a Woman" and "It's a Man's, Man's Man's World" with Seal, which was Foster's brainchild, is evident in his voice.

Bolton enjoys working with young artists, especially international performers who haven't hit it big in the United States yet but are major stars in their countries. He has received numerous requests to record with them, and when he is touring in their cities, he'll make arrangements to sing with them -- even if it means giving up vacation time. Working with younger artists keeps him evolving, he said.

Bolton remembers what it's like breaking in to the business. After recording his own music and not getting much airplay, Bolton established a foothold in the business as a songwriter recorded by other artists.

"I signed with Epic Records when I was 16, and I didn't have my first hit single until I was 34. Songwriting for others was almost an accident, it became survival. A friend of mine said I could give other singers songs, and they would pay me for them, and I would get paid when they had airplay. It was a way to pay the bills.

"Suddenly, I had a new career. I loved being a songwriter. It was comfortable for me, and I thought I could do it on the side."

Cher recorded "I Found Someone," which revitalized her career, and Laura Branigan had a huge hit with "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You?" His music has been recorded by everyone from Conway Twitty to Kanye West (although he had to ask his daughters who he was when he first learned West and Jay-Z had sampled one of his songs).

After 20 years, Bolton is used to the road, but still manages the time to be a social activist and to work with charities involved with domestic violence. He has established the Michael Bolton Foundation to assist women living in poverty and dealing with emotional and physical abuse.

"I have never taken my career for granted," he said. "When a fan tells me how much one of my songs meant to them at a particular time in their life, I am very grateful. I am thrilled to be a part of the soundtrack of their life."

Thanks Gail for another great article and I love Michael's comment of; "I am thrilled to be a part of the soundtrack of their life." for that is, without doubt, a most apt expression for what he has been to many of us at various times along the road !! :)

Sylvia.   Your wee Scottish friend.

Thanks Gail. Ditto to what you just posted Sylvia. So true!!!!!!

Robin in MD :)

A third vote for Michael's great words in this article!!! Thanks Gail for enlightening us once again with Michael's insights!! Much appreciated :)

Kathy and LAFD Bob

Thank you Gail for another great article!  So very true what you posted Sylvia!!

Nicolette xx

MB'S In Louisiana tonight. Wonder how it went. Hope we'll be able to get some reviews. Boltonnut from L. A. CA

Gail,

Another great article, thank you!  I get the feeling Michael is being taken more seriously by these writers lately, it's about time!

And Sylvia, you picked out what means the most to me in that article.

Joy

from the Jersey Shore

Amen, it's about time these writers take MB seriously. Boltonnut from L. A. CA

Absolutely love your icon Joy and like you and others love the words Michael chose for his description and I believe for a great majority of us Michael's words ring very true and what is so wonderful is that Michael may have seen us through the "dark tunnels" of life but it is great that he is still there when the sun appears again and I just hope, as he has been there when we have needed him, that in some small way his knowledge of what he means to us has helped him travel through some of his own "dark tunnels" and to know we are there too when he has emerged from them and in that knowledge we have helped make his "special journey", started so many years ago, all the more worthwhile........Michael may be our "soundtrack through life" but I hope we are and continue to be the "providers of his soul", along with his family and all those he loves dearly, throughout his life.

Sylvia.  Your wee Scottish friend.

Wow, Sylvia:

Thank you!  You said it so well!  Thank you...

Diane

Very very nice Joy!!!! Thanks!!! And loquacious Wee One you are right on!!!! Thank you both for the perfect ending to Michael's article......well done ladies :)

Kathy and LAFD Bob

Joy you are so right! Its about time don't you think! The picture u have there says it all!
Love ya!

Eileen from Upstate NY

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service