Here's something new I thought we could try

As many of you know I love music of all sorts and have a wide variety of different types I enjoy

Usually if I am on the computer I am also listening to my music as well

It just so happens that right now Ready for you- Michael bolton..........is playing

It doesn't have to be Michael Bolton it can be anybody by the time I finish typing Anne Murray and Kenny Rogers are singing If I ever

fall in Love again

Happy new year

Views: 7317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sylvie,

My path in music is a strange one.  

my teenage years (the 80's), it was mainly heavy metal and new wave, but it was also when I discovered Kenny G (1986).  Kenny opened my eyes to instrumentals anyway, and not necessarily jazz.

In the 90's, after most of my favorite metal bands broke up, that's when I discovered Michael (1991).  He was different from all the other singers, which is what attracted me to his music.  He's the biggest reason why creative writing is my hobby.  Also, I discovered a couple more saxophone players in Boney James and Dave Koz.  It was Boney James who opened my eyes to jazz.  

So to answer your question, even though I discovered Kenny G in 1986, it wasn't until 1992, when I discovered Boney James, that I became a jazz fan, so it would have been a year after I discovered Michael, that I got into jazz.

Hi Audrey, thanks for your response! Life is funny, isn’t it? You’ve had a very interesting musical path indeed. I don’t know much about jazz myself but do enjoy some jazz/pop old school singers, especially Tony Bennett. I’ll bet that in ’86, you never thought you’d become a jazz fan only a few years later. For me, it was opera. My mom hated it so as a child I had pre-conceived ideas. A friend of mine introduced me to it in ’91, during an impressionable time in my life and I slowly warmed up to Luciano Pavarotti because there was something warm and familiar about his voice. Now in ’95, when Michael sang with him, that kicked my interest in high gear and after I heard “My secret passion”, I even decided to attend the opera and never looked back. I love that Michael helps us discover so many genres and artists we wouldn’t have considered before. Would you say he helped you discover one artist or genre Audrey? Just curious.  BTW, that’s wonderful that Michael has inspired you  with your creative writing! Thank you so much for sharing Audrey, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hi Sylvie,

I kind of knew about Opera before Michael ever got a hold of it.  I had to study it in College for a music appreciation class in the late 80's.  I can say that Michael did open my eyes to an artist only because this artist opened up for him in concert in 2006.  It had been 18 years since I had last seen Michael and that year, I went to see him at the Cal Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles. Opening up for Michael was a saxophone player who called himself Euge Groove.  His set was fantastic.  His music was wonderfully smooth and very groove-oriented.  He had a lot of energy on stage and I had the time of my life.  For a split second, I had forgotten the main reason why I was there.  Two years later (2008), I went to see Euge Groove at Yoshi's in Oakland.  His show was just as energetic and I had loads of fun.  I also got to meet Euge afterwards and he was the sweetest person. I've seen & met Euge two more times since then.  

Audrey

jazz fan and quiet soul

Hi again Audrey, my daughter had a music appreciation class in college too and I loved to read her class notes… :D Well, at least you can be thankful to Michael because you might have found Euge much later if it weren’t for his concert. :D bTW, I’ve just checked him out on YouTube, he’s pretty good. His style is very refreshing. That’s not the kind of music I’d necessarily go out and buy, but I’d still enjoy it being played. Incidentally, are you just a sax jazz fan or do you enjoy jazz guitar too? Have you ever checked out Chris Camozzi, Michael’s long time band member?  He’s a sweetheart of a man. Wow, if you don’t mind my saying so, for a quiet person, you sure do get around! :D Well thanks again for sharing Audrey and thanks for introducing me to Euge, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hi,

I'm into bass players, horn players and singers,  but do enjoy an occasional guitar player or keyboardist/pianist.  Tomorrow, I'm going to see a guitar player named Peter White at Yoshi's. He's not a bad player.  The only other guitar players I enjoy are John Pizzarelli (who is a good singer as well), Chris Standring and Paul Brown.

Audrey

Hi Audrey, I have to say  that jazz is pretty foreign to me. I’ve only heard of John Pizzarelli among your favorites. Well, have a great time at your concert sweetie and thanks for sharing, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hi everyone, here are a couple of songs from the wonderful Corinne Bailey Rae, hopefully our jazz fan can appreciate them. :D The first one I first heard from Seal on his “Soul” album, although I’m not sure he originated it but it’s beautiful, the title is “Free”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X8CDHtHIsQ

Corinne is featured on this jazz guy Marcus Miller’s album. Now here’s a jazzier one called “River” with Herbie Hancock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WjUr0sBO0M&feature=related

I didn’t know that one but just found it on YouTube and thought I’d share because I just love Corinne Bailey Rae. Thanks for indulging me! :D Take care and hugs to all, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Funny Story...

On my way to work, for the last couple months, I have to listen to Just One Love off Michael's One World One Love CD. And everytime I do I sell a mattress (I'm a salesperson). Went on vacation (Michael's Concert in Bossier), Came back and now I'm doing the same thing. So, I have made that song my ringtone.

lol Elvinita, cute story, whatever works, right? :D Gail, our moderator has Michael's song "Jack Sparrow" as a ringtone and most people smile or laugh when they hear it... :D Thanks for sharing Elvinita, take care. Hugs, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hi Elvinita,

Love the story,thanks for sharing

My ringtone is "Hope it's too late"

Love Dianna xxx

Hi all,today I’d like to share one of my favorite U2 songs. It’s off “All that you can’t leave behind” and it’s called “Wild honey”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhFBElhlKk

It’s a song that’s sweet and sunny and I just fell in love with it, I think it should have been a single! Hope you enjoy it. Take care and hugs to all, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

Hi everyone, here’s another discovery I’ve made thanks to Michael. :D Ever since I’ve found out Michael’s duet partners on “Gems”, I’ve been researching the ones I could at my local library and just this week discovered this really sweet song by Eva Cassidy called “Penny to my name”:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUgbaYQzkOY

Eva sings tons of other great songs and great covers, but this one struck me because I could picture Olivia Newton-John singing it and Olivia is my favorite female singer. The theme could also have been sung by Dolly Parton because it has a country feel: one of the many fassets of Eva’s music. Hope you enjoy it. Take care and hugs to all, sincerely, Sylvie from Canada

RSS

© 2024   Created by Michael Bolton Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service